Thursday, March 31, 2011

That's alot of eggs!

March is the first full month of keeping count of eggs, and I'm impressed with their dedication to laying. Elinor, Fanny and Kitty are responsible for 78 brown eggs; Emma, Harriet and Lydia contributed 75 green eggs for a total of 153- that's 12.75 dozen eggs for the month!

Where do all those eggs go? For sure the three of us can't eat them all. Sometimes the dogs, Sadie and Cooper, get scrambled eggs. Sadie has acid reflux (who knew!) and can't eat dog food. So we cook for them- rice, vegetables and (shhh- don't let the girls know) chicken usually. Sometimes eggs and cottage cheese. Oscar the cat joins in for a snack, but FeeBee the fat (28 lbs, at least) cat only eats dry cat food. I digress.....

We've given our neighbors, who look out their back door and can see the coop, some. My grandmother, who has always taken a special pride in the chickens and their eggs, gets a steady supply. Last week she put in an order for 3 dozen to pass out to three of her nieces. So the three of them each got 6 brown eggs and 6 green eggs. The girls laid 37 eggs last week, so I just brought 'em in and started filling up cartons. When we went to grandma's on Sunday she and I delivered eggs. Our  former neighbors have gotten eggs as well as Will's side of the family. There are a few more people who have let us know they want some too, so they are next up.

It's a rainy night here in NC. I put up the umbrellas in the chicken's yard and let them out this afternoon until I couldn't take the cold any longer. I'm not sure where the saying "madder than a wet hen" came from, but the girls were perfectly happy scratching in the mud while the rain rolled off their feathers. They bitched at me for shooing them back in the coop and shutting the door. I thought I was doing good to take them banana for snack and staying out with them for 20 minutes.

Maybe someone will lay a blue egg tomorrow in honor of April Fools Day.

I'm going to have to start giving away some of the eggs I've blown out too!

No comments:

Post a Comment