Saturday, December 11, 2010

And now there are six hens a laying.....

Emma finally joined the ranks of the big girls and started laying. I was hoping her eggs would be blue, but she held the line and went green.

Emma's egg is in the middle- a little larger and lighter than the others.
 I have learned that fresh eggs are not for boiling- the white peels away with the shell, but if I wait until they are a week old they do fine. So here's my system:

The new eggs go on top for cooking, but the eggs on bottom are saved for boiling. Sure it would be easier to use egg cartons than to take them off from the top to get the bottom eggs, then put them back in reverse order. Opening the fridge and seeing my bowl of eggs makes me happy.

Complicated, but so far it works for me. Doesn't stop my grandma from collecting egg cartons though!

No comments:

Post a Comment